Thursday, June 05, 2014

it's a GIRL!! ...and other surprises

We found out several weeks ago that our little baby is a GIRL!  Her name will be Virginia Madison (after her Greatmother and her Nina) and we will call her Madison or Madi. :-)



Ben really wants to have a little sister - he has been talking about it A LOT - so we are super thrilled that he is getting one!  I can't believe that I will have to learn to deal with hair(!) and girl drama (which my sis-in-law tells me begins in infancy!).  I bet Jeff is going to turn out to be the world's best pony tail maker or something crazy. :-)  We are so thrilled to meet her sweet self in the fall - to count her fingers and toes, to see how much hair she is born with, what color her eye are, and all those other wonderful new baby things we get to experience again.  She is going to rock our world, that is for sure!

On top of learning that Madi is, indeed, a Madi, we have also recently learned that she has Spina Bifida.  This is a serious, incurable, but manageable condition.  We were completely taken aback to receive this diagnosis for our girl, but we know that our God was not....and Madi won't be either.  This birth defect and the toll that it may take on her body will be a part of her, but it will not define her.

So, while we have cried and grieved for the "normal" life we had expected for her and for our family since getting this diagnosis on May 22, we know that God has bigger plans for her (and for us) than we had ever imagined.

My pregnancy has been such a breeze thus far, and that has been a blessing.  We ask that you pray for me and for Madi over the next several months - that my pregnancy continues smoothly and that we learn more and get as prepared as possible for little Madison's arrival.  We're excited and nervous, like all expectant parents would be, with just a little extra anxiety of the unknown thrown in to the mix.  But like I said before, Madison is going to be more (much more!) than her Spina Bifida and we cannot wait to see what all God has in store for her. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, indeedy she will be! Having worked in the Disability Services field, I can tell you first-hand that so many students with disabilities do so much more than some "average" people. She will be fantastic, like her parents. :)

Marie Davis said...

I know it shows off my ignorance, but I've found that handicapped people, especially children, will amaze you constantly. Madi will handle her disability with grace and enthusiasm. I'll bet she will be a really happy child.

Barbara Kemp said...

I have read somewhere that God places special children with special parents...God bless you in this adventure. Love you ms Barbara