Thursday, March 12, 2015

hello again, again!

If you are friends with Jeff or I on Facebook, then you likely know what we have been up to for the last five months.  But here's a recap!

On October 8, 2014 Jeff and I went to Atlanta. The next day we got to the hospital and I quickly went to pre-op. After pre-op (where I passed out when they gave me my epidural) Jeff and I went to the OR. Our baby girl, Virginia Madison "Madi" was born at 1:20 pm on October 9 via cesarean at Northside Hospital. She weighed 7 lbs 4 oz and was 18 1/2 inches long. The doctors and Jeff saw immediate movement in her legs (we were so dang excited!!) and I got to see her, talk to her, and kiss her cheek before they whisked her away to the NICU.

As soon as Madi was gone they had a serious bleeding complication with me related to the way I healed from my previous c-section. My 25 minute ceserean turned into a 5 hour ordeal. I got 4 units of blood and platelets and who knows what else. It was kind of crazy and very scary. I was supposed to be able to see Madi again before she left my hospital and went to Children's at Scottish Rite, but when they got her packed up and ready to move, I was not in the recovery room where I belonged, I was still in surgery.

Madi, on the other hand, was doing awesome! They got her settled into the NICU at Children's and she was really just showing out. :-) She was moving all over the place in her your little isolette. In fact, they had to keep moving her back into the middle of her bed because she was moving and squirming so much that she kept bumping her head against the top wall.

Madi's NICU space.  She has a deluxe penthouse space with a window! :-)

Madi had her spina bifida closure surgery at 9 a.m. Friday morning, October 10th. Dr. Reisner had previously told us the surgery might take up to 4 hours. After only 2 hours Jeff was surprised to get a call from him that he was done. The doc said that on a spina bifida scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being the best possible situation regarding her nerves and feeling et cetera below her lesion, she was a 20! He said that he had not had an SB closure surgery that easy in years. We were amazed at her and SO grateful to God. :-)

I was able to go from my hospital to hers on Sunday and see her again for the first time since she was born.

This was her first bed space.  She moved to the penthouse space the next day.

It took what seemed like forever (14 days), several head ultrasounds, and finally a CT scan to determine that her hydrocephalus required a shunt. She got her vp shunt when she was 15 days old on Friday, October 24th. It was a hard day. She reacted poorly to the pain meds after her back closure  so they were trying to manage her pain after shunt surgery with only Tylenol. That didn't work at all so for several hours I tried to sooth her by holding, giving a paci, sucrose, feeding....but that was all a no go. They eventually gave her some morphine (a very small amount) which helped her finally nod off and me relax.

Me holding my girl one day in the 2 weeks between surgeries.
We finally got to bring Madi home the following Tuesday! That was a GREAT day!  We were welcomed with balloons and posters form our friends and Ben got to meet his little sister! :')

Madi is now 5 months old (I can't believe it!) and has grown so much. She is wiggling her toes, kicking her legs, and even likes to try to stand. She just woke up from her nap so I don't have time to fill you in on the last four months of fun right now, but I promise to soon. I am so glad to say that while her spina bifida (and related conditions) was very much our focus those first few weeks, it has had minimal impact on the majority of her life thus far. She is a wonderful girl. She brightens up the lives of all who know her and even those who just get to see her beautiful smile at the grocery store. :-) I am so proud to be her Mom and give all the glory to God for her

1 comment:

Brenda Doss said...

I can't wait to run into ya'll at the grocery store!!